Cultural addictions psychiatry: myths vs facts
July 1, 2021 12:35pm - 1:05pm
Learning objectives: At the end of this presentation, delegates will be able to:
- Differentiate between excuses to avoid treatment/therapy and the reality of cultural specificity
- Analyse how a client’s ethnicity and culture can affect their opinion and attitude to seeking treatment for addiction
- Spot how ethnic minority groups are more likely to seek help from family, friends or religious guides rather than healthcare professionals
- Explain heightened stigma and perceived repercussions of drug use among a client’s cultural peer group – and conversely, how some drugs have a reduced stigma or are normalised among ethnic groups
- In all of the above, weave in lessons learned from Black Lives Matter.